If you received a LIHEAP payment in 2022-2023 an automatic payment will be generated to that same account this fiscal year. The state will mail notices in November 2023 to each family from the 2022-2023 pre-populated application information. The notice will be sent with instructions to the recipient on how to report changes to the department. The recipient can contact or return the notice with changes to their local DSS office within 10 business days. If the recipient does not contact or report any changes to DSS, the information from the 2022-2023 LIEAP application will be used to approve the household for 2023-2024 benefits. The recipient will be informed that an automated LIEAP payment was given to them. They do not need to apply.
Households not included in the target population will be able to apply following the regular LIEAP application policy. Regular application policy is as follows: The application period begins December 1st for households with a disabled person who is receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services(DAAS) OR households containing a person age 60 and above are potentially eligible from December 1st through December 31st or until funds are exhausted. Applications for the general public will be taken from January 1st through March 31st or until funds are exhausted.
This program is being administered by:
Warren County Department of Social Services
307 N. Main Street
Warrenton, NC 27589
Please bring the following information to determine eligibility:
1. Photo Identification
2. Mail or document showing current address (rental agreement, utility bill, etc.)
3. Information about your household’s income. If anyone works, bring wage stubs for the month before the month you visit the agency. Bring a letter from the Social Security Administration to confirm benefits or a statement that shows direct deposit.
4. Recent statement for savings or checking accounts.
5. Name, date of birth & social security card or numbers for each household member.
6. A bill from your primary source of heat (used the MOST, to heat your home). Households that heat with wood/kerosene, will not have a bill to submit.
Heating source bill- If the bill is not in the applicant's name, the applicant must provide a written statement from the person whose name the bill is in (must be 18 & older), stating that the applicant is responsible for payment of the heating expense.
Note: If you or someone you know is not physically able to come to the agency to apply, they may provide a trusted individual (representative) with a written statement authorizing them to apply for LIEAP on their behalf; must include a contact number. Please bring all information listed above in 1-6.