Important Tax Dates
Day as of which value, ownership, and situs of real and personal property are determined for ad valorem tax purposes. [G.S. 105-285]
*** 2023 BILLS ACCUMULATE INTEREST JANUARY 6, 2024*** Property taxes not paid in full receive Interest charge of 2% [G.S. 105-350(a)] for the month of January and an additional 3/4 of 1% each month thereafter.
Last day of regular listing period. [G.S. 105-307] Last day of timely filing of abstracts(listing forms) or present use-value applications (PUV), and request extensions for Business Personal Property. If listing is received after January 31st there is a 10% late listing penalty. Listings received by mail go by post marked date.
The Office of the Tax Assessor is responsible for maintaining changes in property ownership and all property maps. The office has an excellent Geographic Information System (GIS) with maps showing property boundary lines, aerial photography and building footprints.
Personal property such as the following items must be listed every year during the annual listing period that runs from January 1st through the 31st:
- Business Machinery and Equipment
- Farm Machinery
- Single-Wide Mobile Homes
- Unlicensed Campers
- Unregistered Motor Vehicles
PUV applications must be filed during the January listing period. The deadline is January 31st:
- A new application is not required unless the property is transferred or becomes ineligible for use value appraisal because of a change in use or acreage. If there is a transfer of ownership of property, the new owner must submit an application within sixty (60) days of the date of the property’s transfer.
- Ownership requires property must be owners place of residence or it has been owned by the owner or a close relative for four (4) years preceding January 1.
- A farm unit of agricultural land must have at least one ten (10) acre tract actively engaged in the commercial production of growing of crops or animals under a sound management program.
- A farm unit of forest land must have at least one twenty (20) acres must meet the requirements for forest land.
- A horticultural land must have at least five (5) acre tract in the unit that is actively engaged in the commercial production of the growing of fruits, vegetables, nursery, or floral products under a sound management program.
- Income Requirements for Agriculture land and Horticultural Land must have produced an average GROSS income for the past three (3) years of $1,000 per year. Forest land does nor have income requirements.
Age Exemption, Disabled Veteran, Disability Applications Due
Senior Citizens Age Exemption Applications
If you are 65 years of age and older, you can get an application starting January 2 and are due June 1st.
AV-9A Fill out along with application if applying for Disability
NCDVA-9 Fill out along with application if applying for Disabled Veteran
Current year taxes become due. [G.S.105-360(a)]
Reappraisals & Revaluations
The North Carolina General Statutes mandate that all real property (land and buildings) must be reappraised at least once every eight years. Property in Warren County was last revalued in 2017. The 2017 property assessments will remain on the tax books until 2024, unless property owners make improvements or changes that affect their values, i.e. adding a garage, additional room, new house on a vacant lot, etc. The next County revaluation is scheduled to take effect in 2025. Warren County contracts with a private real estate appraisal company to assist with the appraisal of real property.